The owner of Palace Bingo’s land-based clubs and online bingo site has announced the immediate closure of the company’s UK bingo halls. The move is a temporary measure that will last for 14 days and is aimed to prevent a further spread of the potentially deadly Coronavirus disease.
The announcement was made on the Felixstowe and Great Yarmouth clubs’ Facebook pages on Thursday, 19th March 2020.
Patrick Duffy, who is the company’s founder and owner, says that the decision was not taken lightly. He says that he “closed for the best reasons” with the aim of keeping “my customers safe” and “to contribute to the prevention of the spread of the disease both locally and nationally”. He continued by saying, “I encourage everyone to do their bit to prevent this virus from spreading, and doing what the Government says, which is distancing from others and restricting movement”.
It was only late last month that Mr Duffy introduced additional safety measures to his Palace Bingo clubs that allowed its employees to refuse entry to anyone presenting a body temperature reading of over 37.4 degrees.
At the time of writing, we are not aware of any other major UK-based bingo clubs such as Buzz Bingo and Mecca Bingo shutting for similar reasons. However, with the UK government poised to issue further restrictions on people’s movement, it may well be the case that further closures are likely within the coming days and weeks.
At the moment, Palace Bingo forecasts that its clubs will reopen on Thursday, 2nd April 2020. However, Patrick Duffy warns that the precautions may “be necessary to be a bit longer”. He is also doing his bit to help the venues’ local communities by offering assistance to anyone who needs it. Contact numbers for both clubs are listed on the company’s Facebook pages, and the reception desks will be manned from 11 AM daily so that staff can answer the telephones.
The Palace Bingo website will continue to operate as normal, allowing players to enjoy online bingo and casino games.