Before we get started, we’re going to tell you how to pronounce ‘Yggdrasil’, what it means and why one of the best online casino software companies around has called themselves that.
First, the correct pronunciation is ‘ig-drizzle’. Secondly, Igdrizzle … er … Yggdrasil is the name of an immense tree in Norse mythology. The tree is a conduit between the nine worlds, and is visited by the Norse gods on a daily basis. Finally, Yggdrasil probably named themselves after a mythological Norse tree as they originated from Scandinavia, although they are now based in the wagering hotbed of Malta. Yggdrasil (the company, not the tree) originated from the Swedish real-world slots company Cherry, which is the same route NetEnt took to online slotting glory.
Yggdrasil (previously Yggdrasil Gaming as they now seem to have done away with the Gaming suffix) has now been making superb games since 2014 and the company have really made plenty of people sit up and notice. Keep on reading to find out more.
Who Is Yggdrasil?
To consider the history of Yggdrasil, we have to go back to the dim and distant past, right back to 2013 in fact. The company was (like NetEnt) another off-shoot of Swedish company Cherry, and perhaps were hoping to go down the same path to success as NetEnt. Indeed their founder, Frederik Elmqvist, worked for NetEnt for many years.
They were granted their first licence in the same year and were one of the first companies to switch from the collapsing software platform Adobe Flash to the (then) new coding opportunities offered by HTML5. They hired some of the best game designers around to create innovative titles that were noted for the brilliance of their look and feel. Their games also began to become celebrated for the way they played on mobile devices.
It was no surprise when Yggdrasil began to pick up awards. In 2016 and 2017 they won the EGR B2B award as ‘Slot Provider of the Year’ and also in 2017 they won the title of ‘Innovator of the Year’ at the International Gaming Awards. They’ve also won gongs at the IGR and EGR awards in 2018 and 2019.
Yggdrasil has licences from the United Kingdom Gambling Commission, the Malta Gaming Authority, the Gibraltar Regulatory Authority and the National Gambling Office of Romania. The company remains based in Malta but also has offices in Poland, Gibraltar and Sweden.
What’s Hot and Not About Yggdrasil
The best games so far created by Yggdrasil since 2013 include Valley of the Gods, Easter Island, Vikings Go Berzerk, Jungle Books, Double Dragons, Beauty & the Beast, Gem Rocks, Bicicieta, Winterberries and Luncha Maniacs.
- Vikings, Vikings and more Vikings. With having a name that’s based on Norse mythology, it’s probably no surprise that the most successful series of slots produced by Yggdrasil in their short history is centred around Vikings. The pillaging began in August 2015 with ‘Vikings Go Wild’ which was followed in November 2016 with the release of ‘Vikings Go Berzerk’. People are still speculating on the title of the third game of the series (we are going for ‘Vikings Go Apoplectic’) which has yet to see the light of day.
- Yggdrasil games are easy to find. Yggdrasil are one of the more popular online slot providers at casinos that want to offer more than NetEnt and Microgaming titles. You should experience no issues in finding places to play all your favourite Yggdrasil slots.
- New game after new game. Yggdrasil releases games with outstanding frequency. You never have long to wait for the next title in this company’s superb catalogue.
- Some games are a little same-y. It’s a bad habit of some software companies to simply keep the same game engine for every slot they produce and just alter how the game pays and the graphics. Yggdrasil was a little guilty of that in its early days, but there’s enough variety surrounding their better titles to make this not much of an issue.
- No casino games. It online slots all the way with Yggdrasil.
Our Final Thoughts
We have something of a soft spot for Yggdrasil. We adore companies that make a real stab at the break the stranglehold of major players such as NetEnt and Microgaming and Yggdrasil has managed to do just that. Their tactics have been easy to discern – just the release of high quality, entertaining game after high quality, entertaining game.
Yggdrasil games have become increasingly popular and the general love at online casinos felt for Yggdrasil’s slots shows no sign of abating. Their games are exciting to play with interesting features, and they simply look the business too.
If you’ve not tried Yggdrasil’s games before then there are hours of slotting happiness waiting just around the corner for you!